The treasures of the world are before us always. It can be easy to set our focus on seeking them and lose our focus on God. So we renew our dedication to God. We come seeking not the treasures of this world, but we come in prayer for blessing of God’s own treasure.
[quote]O Almighty God! Eternal Treasure of all good things! Thou fillest all things with plenteousness; Thou clothest the lilies of the field, and feedest the young ravens that call upon Thee. Let Thy Providence be my store-house, my own necessities the measures of my desire; but never let my desires of this world be greedy, nor my labor immoderate, nor my care vexatious and distracting; but moderate, holy, subordinate to Thy will, the measure Thou hast appointed for me. Amen.
Jeremy Taylor (1613-1667)[/quote]
O Almighty God! Thank you for hearing my prayer. You know my heart. You have searched me, and you know me. Root out in me all that seeks the treasures of this world in the place of Your Holy Treasure.
Putting Prayer into Practice: Prayer for Blessing of God’s Treasure
God has given us His creation to lead us to Him. He makes all things, and He makes all things good. But sometimes we see the things of creation, and lose our focus on the God who made them.
[quote]If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. Matthew 5:29 NIV[/quote]
Let’s reflect on how we let the things of the world come between us and God. Consider:
- How do I let the things of this world come between me and God?
- Do I have a particular attachment with one thing, or one particular type of thing?
- Do I treat animals out of proportion with what they are as God’s creation, either giving un-reasonable attention, or inappropriate neglect to God’s creatures?
- Is there a person whom I put in the place of God?
- Can I forgo something that I’m attached to? If there is something to which I’m attached, could I give it to someone who needs it?
- When I am tempted today to let my focus be drawn to the things of the world, can I return to my prayer for blessing of God’s treasure, and instead thank God for the many blessings He has given me?